In the spring of 1946, when considering what to do for a fundraiser, Bob Skiles suggested a fish fry and carnival. The money was to be used to build a baseball field in what is now Lions Park. The Fish Fry was held on Newport Avenue at the corner of 18th Street. A stove and refrigerator were offered as prizes.
Dinners were served on regular dishes that were scraped and washed in the American Legion Hall kitchen.
Heinz Kaiser had the special “secret recipe for the fish batter which has changed very little over the years.